The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
Protection of Civilian Population (PCP) Field Officer
- Responsible for the centralization, processing and analysis of protection data. Oversees the proper entry and quality of information in the protection database and proactively analyses the information. Supports field staff on substantial issues regarding information entry and works closely with the Protection Data tea.
- Carries out training of new recruits and briefing of other ICRC staff on specific handling procedures applicable to Protection activities.
- Ensures efficient information flow and communication within the department and with the other departments
- Contributes to department reports and statistics.
- Identifies protection problems through various sources and contributes to the implementation of the Protection of Civilian Population strategy.
- Acts as the focal point for activities implementing a Community Based Protection methodology and assists field teams with project conceptualization, training on the methodology and guidance through the implementation steps.
- Participates in networking and dialogue with relevant interlocutors, ensures interaction with other departments (Assistance, Prevention and Cooperation), Sub-delegations and offices, the NRCS and external contacts.
- Takes minute of meetings, controls the interlocutors’ list and, where needed, drafts external correspondence according to institutional guidelines, under the supervision of the Deputy Protection Coordinator for PCP.
- Complete tasks such as research, drafting of protection notes as requested by the Deputy Protection Coordinator for PCP.
- Plan and carry out internal protection coaching activities for all other departments.
- Support Field protection teams in their activities with visits wherever needed
- University degree in a relevant field, preferably in the field of law
- 4 years experience in the Protection/Tracing with very good command of the Prot6 software
- Excellent written and spoken English. Hausa and French an asset.
- Good computer skills: knowledge in Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Represents the organization properly with different level of interlocutors.
- Sound analytical skills, good knowledge of the contexts of armed conflict and other situations of violence in Nigeria
- Team-work oriented, sound communication skills, familiar with protocol and official diplomatic communication
- Very good communication and inter-personal skills: ability to deal with people respectfully and showing empathy towards others (colleagues, beneficiaries, authorities)
- Able to behave and work in accordance with the ICRC’s neutrality and impartiality principles
- Ability to work independently, and capacity to take initiatives when appropriate
- Leadership skills with ability to manage and supervise tasks with effectiveness as per the set priorities
- Able to work under pressure; flexible and open to extra working hours if necessary
- Capacity to carry out activities and manage files of importance in the field of ICRC PROT activities
- Staff management capacity and very good team spirit
- Ability to keep discretion and handling confidential matters effectively
- Sound capacity to strictly apply ICRC rules and procedures (e.g. security, code of conduct)
- Adaptability and capacity to integrate changes and deal with important volume of work
- Punctual, reliable, confirmed organizational skills
- Sound analytical skills
Prison System Officer
- Support the Prison System Advisor (PSA) and detention teams in enhancing systemic support to the national prison authorities
- Participates in identifying and formulating solutions to humanitarian problems that are rooted in the prison system.
- Supports the planning, implementation and evaluation of projects ran by the joint technical working groups.
- Contributes to confidence building efforts with the authorities of places of detention and maintenance of constructive dialogue on protection issues
- Contribute to the assessment and analysis of conditions of detention and, under the guidance of the PSA, relevant detention system elements (especially overcrowding, nutrition, the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) and other criminal justice laws and policies, judicial guarantees, access to justice, etc.)
- Participate in implementation, monitoring and evaluation of activities and projects under the technical working groups, including the pilot trainings, Case Management System and access to justice, dynamic security and prison management etc
- Contribute to organising seminars or thematic workshops on relevant issues, with prison management and other authorities as well as with NGOs and other stakeholders.
- Prepare Events requests, Request Orders, Field trip requests, Air travel requests, work advances for activities relating to systemic support.
- University degree in Laws, Criminology, psychology, criminal justice administration or related filed. Master’s degree in relevant field is an added advantage.
- Experience of at least 5 years with a Government Criminal Justice Agency or legal or human rights based Organisation.
- Experience of work in a Prison Service at middle or senior management level with a retirement/ discharge certificate.
- Experience working in, or visiting places of detention
- Proven project planning and management experience
- Computer literate and efficient in internet use
- Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical and strategic skills
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Excellent communication skills
- Teamwork skills and availability to work in difficult environmental conditions
- Strong capacity to work independently
- Availability to travel frequently for field missions
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Checks accounting documents are complete in compliance with ICRC’s financial rules
- Processes data record in the accounting software according to ICRC chart of accounts and procedures
- Makes sure on daily basis that no book has any pending balance
- Prepares accounting vouchers with respective supporting documents and to present them for validation to Finance & Administration Manager
- Produces accounting statistics on regular basis or when requested to do so
- Ensures respect of financial procedures and guidelines
- Performs other Finance task as may be assigned by his Manager
- University degree in accounting or any relevant field
- 3 years work experience in a similar field
- Good command of spoken and written English
- Very good computer literacy, especially Excel
- Very good knowledge in double-accounting
- Rigor, methodical and good analytical skills
- Sense of confidentiality
- Ability to work independently and meticulously
Water and Habitat Purchaser
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Responsible for the procurement of all requested Water & Habitat (WatHab) goods and Services for the ICRC Sub Delegation in Maiduguri as well as for the ICRC Office in Damaturu securing the best correlation of quality, price and delivery time
- Undertakes any needed regularisation/correction in Procurement files. Must ensure that the Request for Quotation (RFQ) and Request for Tender (RFT) contain all relevant information to enable transparent selection of the best price, terms and conditions.
- Receives WatHab RFT, ST, PO/contracts from the field and verifies/screen them thoroughly before submitting to the Logistics Delegate for further treatment
- Updates and maintains knowledge about main suppliers; checks the market for potential new suppliers together with WatHab
- Liaises with Dispatch and Transport to decide on transport mode and prioritize dispatch of cargo as well as with WatHab
- Liaises with WatHab for the purchasing forecast
- Bachelor Degree, Associate Degree or equivalent higher education degree in administration, logistics, purchasing or similar field.
- Additional vocational training in administration, logistics or purchasing.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in logistics, purchasing, administration or similar position in Engineering or humanitarian sector.
- Advanced conversational and written English and Hausa.
- PC literate: Microsoft office.
- Understand well the work and needs of the WatHab department
- Skilled in the following competencies: Adapting & Learning, Responsibility & Autonomy
- Honest & Trustworthy.
- Negotiation, Communication (Ability to express views and ideas)
- Good knowledge of the local market.
- Capacity to integrate the ICRC logistic procedures.
- Flexibility and team playing within and out with the logistics department
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
- Ensures that financial supporting documents are produced and acceptable according to ICRC financial rules (translation, supplier information and stamp, logistic support documents, approvals etc.)
- Monitors regularity of payments and to reports discrepancies
- Takes charge of daily management of the Office bank account under supervision of the Head of Office
- Monitors premises lease agreements: drafts new contracts, follow-up expiring lease agreement, processes renewal
- Sets up HR files of newly recruited staff and requests all compulsory personal documents
- Ensures each event in the professional life of each resident staff is documented in his/her HR file (confirmation letter, training certificates, upgrade, change of position, disciplinary measures etc)
- Provides staffs with advices and/or assistance pertaining to HR matters
- Arranges hotel/guestroom accommodation for visitors and processes administrative follow up of welcome expenses (invoices and all required attachments according to procedure) and to ensure their payments
- Performs other duties as requested by the Head of Office
- University education in Business Administration or Secretariat
- 4 years’ professional experience in a similar field
- Fluent written and spoken English
- High computer literacy and very good computer skills especially Office software.
- Team leadership skills
- Sense of confidentiality and reliable
- Initiative, organised, methodical and flexible personality,
- Strong humanitarian motivation
- Capacity to manage and to mentor staff under his/her supervision
Method of Application
Applicants should send their application letter, Curriculum Vitae and contact details of three referees to: ABJ_Recruitment_Services@icrc.org
- Please clearly indicate the job title and Location as the subject of your application
- Application intended for this role without this subject will not be treated. Late application will not be considered
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- However, ICRC will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
Deadline: 17 January, 2018